Thursday, June 24, 2010

Flirting on the Internet


We all flirt. It's kind of second nature to most of us, right? I'll admit, I'm an avid flirter. But what I want to discuss is flirting on the internet, MAINLY Twitter. Everyone who knows me knows that I am a Twitter addict. I am using it everyday, pretty much all day like most of my followers. So this is where I get my observations from. I am not going to bring my personal relationships into this, but that is where my frustration derives from.
We all say that "it's JUST twitter", "it doesn't mean anything", and "it's not that serious". But is that the truth? Flirtatious tweets to people you've NEVER met is one thing. That isn't that serious because you don't know the person, nor do you have any intention on meeting them in person. But flirtateous tweets to girls/guys that you physically know in person while you have a significant other is plain DISRESPECTFUL, no matter you put it. I've heard time and time again "that's just my homegirl" and "we just play around". But so what?! Flirting is still flirting and it's disrespectful to the one you're with. I believe that if you're in a relationship and you're letting someone who's NOT your significant other call you babe/bay/honey, etc. that's pushing it a little too far. Then you get hit with "it's just twitter!". How is your significant other supposed to know that? And THEN you get hit with "well why are you snooping and looking at who I'm tweeting?". Are you REALLY asking me that on a site where that's basically the POINT to look at people's timelines and seeing what they're talking about and who they're talking to? And why are you worried about it if you're not doing anything wrong? Ok, ok, maybe my personal relationships ARE coming into play while I'm writing this, but I have a right to be upset!
All I'm saying is, people need to watch what they say and who they say it to. Don't let Twitter be the demise of your relationship. That's dumb. But also, if you're sending flirtatious tweets to some person who's not your significant other ONline, what are you saying OFFline?
Signed,
AINT-NO-FURY-LIKE-A-WOMAN-SCORNED!

No comments:

Post a Comment