Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Coonery that Was: The 2010 BET Awards



Sunday was THE night. The night where people everywhere got together to watch the one, the only, the BET awards. I actually enjoyed it! Let's recap shall we?


Opening Performance: Kanye West performing "Power" on top of some fake mountain with a light shining through the top. My thoughts? B-O-R-I-N-G. You couldn't even understand what he was saying! Definitely not a good way to start off the award show in my opinion. I mean, couldn't he have performed some of his recent songs so that people could AT LEAST sing/rap along? Shoot, I would've taken "The Good Life" over that.

Queen Latifah was the MC for the night. Now am i the only person who was getting annoyed at the way she kept kicking her feet out when she walked? Ok, ok that's irrelevant. Ughhh but those OUTFITS she kept changing into? Oh no ma'am Ms. Pam!!!! And did anyone else notice how she put Chaka Khan on straight BLASSTTT?! "He and Chaka Khan have a date. 'Cause if you're post-menopause, he (Usher) gon' get them draaawwwssss!" Hehehehe so much unintentional shade!

Alicia Keys won the 2nd award of the night (first went to Monica) for BEST FEMALE R&B ARTIST. On a side note, I wonder how Mashonda felt about Ms. Keys huggin up on her son when she won the award...

Usher then hit the stage to hit his sultry song "There Goes my Baby". Everthing was great until he hit that DREADED note.. "...our time away won't change my LOOOOOOOOOOOVE". woooo that note was rough. But I guess even the best have their rough moments. He was workin that mic stand though...

My girl Nicki Minaj took home the award for BEST FEMALE HIP HOP ARTIST. I swear I love that girl.. she has so many haters, yet she still wins! Take that haters AND Lil Kim. She paid you your freakin homage, so shut that mess up.

Boyfriend in my head T.I. then came out to perform his new song (don't know the name), with Travis Barker as guest drummer. It was cool...

Toronto rapper Drake took the award for BEST MALE HIP HOP ARTIST. Who else COULD it have been? Imma need yall to stop hatin on Drake too.. oh and #shoutout to Drake for being a member of #teamblackberry!

Alicia Keys was the next to hit the stage to perform a medley of her own songs ("No One", "Sleeping With a Broken Heart", "If I Ain't Got You", and her new hit "Unthinkable"). I think I'm the only one who isn't feeling her new song *shrugs*. Ms. Keys is ALWAYS a favorite of mine, but that purple dress with those pink patent leather pumps? Oh no no no. Please don't ever do that again Alicia. And PLEASE explain why Kim Burrell came out and switched up the words to "if I ain't got youuuu JESUS"! Now i love the Lord but I just don't think that was the time.

B.O.B., Eminem, and Keyshia Cole were the next to come to the stage, performing "Airplanes" (originally by B.O.B, Eminem, and Paramore frontrunner Hayley Williams). Hayley should have been there to sing the chorus because Keyshia was just ROUGH. Oooo Lawd! She was terrible in my opinon. And that HAIR!? She needed some help. Then Em continued the performance with some irrelevant rappers. #ONTOTHENEXT...

Monica then took the stage to perform her hit "Everything to Me" and then brought out the fabulous Ms. Deniece Williams who was the original singer of the song melody Monica used in the song. I LOVE THIS SONG!! I sang the song on my Youtube. http://youtube.com/user/justcallmeGIA. Now I LOVED the performance between the two of them but WHAT was Monica wearing?! Those Batman wings were NOT the business.

Nonetheless, Jay-Z and Alicia Keys took home the award for BEST COLLABORATION.

Joke of the night, Diddy-Dirty Money took to the stage to perform their version of "Oh Let's do it" and "Hello, Goodmorning" with appearances by Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj, and T.I. Might I say, Dawn and Kaleena aka Estelle look-alike looked like glorified backup singers. They blended in!!! And for all the haters, Nicki was NOT lip syncing. If you could hear, she was rapping but her mic was off. I believe that it was BET's fault. They were having sound #fails all night. All in all, this "Dirty Money" thing needs to desist. We don't believe you Diddy. I think Diddy is going through a mid-life crisis. He IS in his 40's.

Chris Brown was next to hit the stage to do a special Michael Jackson tribute, which was deemed the highlight of the night. There's much contraversy surrounding CB's perfomance. Chris actually cried while singing "Man in the Mirror". The audience had to come to his rescue to help him finish the song. But a lot of people believe that it was a publicity stunt. I personally believe it was a genuine moment for Chris. He's received a lot of backlash from the media regarding his assault case with Rihanna. And he wanted to perform on last year's BET awards but wasn't given the chance. So I think that the excitement of kind of being able to reedem himself along with his sadness over his idol passing away, the tears just came. Yall leave that boy alone and let him be great! The performance was really good though. I enjoyed it.

Drake then took to the stage to perform a medley of songs in including "Fireworks", "Over", and that one song with Young Jeezy. Jeezy needs a throat lozenge, seriously. Hehe Drake is so jumpy when he performs. But it was good.

Trey Songz took the award home for BEST MALE R&B ARTIST.

Debarge then took to the stage to take it old school. I'll admit I had no clue who he was at first, but I DID recognize the songs. And he HIT them high notes!!!!! Usher, take note! #noshade

THE sexiest man of the night Tyrese then hit the stage and performed some old school songs while groupies in the front row threw their panties at him. Lawsd I hope they were clean. That man is FINE. That is a REAL man!!!!! I'd let him spank me and talk ghetto to me like he did in "Baby Boy"! Oh.. sorry.

Marvin Sapp, Fred Hammond, Kirk Franklin, Karen Clark Sheard, Yolanda Adams, and Kim Burrell then came on stage to sing a tribute to Haiti. Kirk, PLEASE stick to playing the piano and directing the choir because singing is NOT your calling.

John Legend and his jacked up hairline was the receipient of the 2010 BET Humanitarian Award. Congrats!

Trey Songz was next to hit the stage performing "Your Side of the Bed" and a little of "Purple Rain".. Trey is an ok singer but he sings with COMPLETELY too much vibrato. #imjustssayin. And if you EVER attempt a high note like the one you tried in your performance Trey, there will be problems.

Beyonce and Lady Gaga won the award for VIDEO OF THE YEAR.

Janelle Monae then performed a tribute to Prince.. Lawd she crazy. She's the female version of Andre 3000 in my opinion. But I like her. And I wanna touch her hair lol. Now if she would just get on a RELEVANT record label instead of going nowhere with Bad Boy...

Then is was some chick named Esperalda Spalding's turn.... um.. ok.

Then Alicia Keys returned to perform again. And her 6 month pregnant behind got up ON the piano! Prince's face was PRICELESS. Glad she didn't hurt herself! And her peformance was great.

Then the queen, Ms. Pattie LaBelle got her old behind up on stage to sing "Purple Rain"... She HAD to get ghetto and take off her shoes to frolic amongst the stage. Glad she didn't hit anyone because she KICKED those bad boys off and they FLEW. "Sometimes ya gotta sufferER!" lmao.

Terrence and Rocsi had the #FAIL of the night when they did a sloppy kiss while present the award for VIEWER'S CHOICE AWARD. With the kiss fail and the teleprompter messing up, it was just a mess.

Rihanna and Young Jeezy took the award for VIEWER'S CHOICE AWARD.

Ludacris, T. Pain, DJ Khaled, Busta Rhymes, Diddy, and Nicki Minaj took the stage for the last performance of the night with guest drummer Tommy Lee.


All in all, it was a good night. WAY better than last year's fail of an award show. Can't wait for next year!



No comments:

Post a Comment